Healing School

We live on a battlefield and we need healing. It may come like a flash of lightning, or like a little green shoot poking up through the soil. Healing school is a place for imperfect people to plant seeds, to receive change. Jesus Christ is the Healer and invites you to His classroom. I am a student of His. If you are thirsty too, come and drink.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Yes God Heals But

I remember the first time my son was old enough to read mail by himself, young enough to believe what he read. He came to me in wide-eyed wonder. “Mom, we may have won a million dollars!”

I quickly and efficiently squelched his joy. “It doesn’t really mean that – they send those to everyone. Somebody somewhere might get a million dollars, but most likely it won’t be us.” Careful to protect my child from hopes that could only disappoint, in no time at all I turned him into a cynic greater than myself.

Whenever the topic of healing comes up, I hear one of several different “Yes God heals but . . .” statements. If you’ve said one to me, please don’t feel I’m picking on you. I’ve heard it before, many times. Almost verbatim, across time and space and denominational lines.

I’ve come to realize that the topic of healing consistently makes many people nervous, cautious, concerned. Maybe you feel like it’s a lottery you won’t win, and you truly want to protect both yourself and those you love from disappointed hopes. No one could blame you. You’ve been hurt so many times.

What if, while you wait in line to buy a lottery ticket, someone walks up to you and says, “Do you want to win?” What if the person who asks you this question turns out to be a multi-billionaire, but you don’t know that yet. Would you say, “Yes, but . . .” ?

You wouldn’t be the first.

We have a little saying around our house, “It could happen!”

It’s a line from Angels in the Outfield. Two little boys hang onto faith in the face of raw skepticism and a world troubled by shattered dreams. “It could happen,” says one. And it does.

What if, every time the topic of healing comes up, instead of saying, “Yes, but . . .” instead we all made a conscious decision to say, “It could happen!”

Or better yet, “Let it happen to me as You have said.”

You want to do impossible things in my body, God? I don’t understand, but I’m all for it. I’ll take your word for it, even above my own skeptical logic and yesterday’s broken heart.

After all, God says hope does not disappoint.

Nowadays, in my home, I’m working on restoring some of that sense of wonder and possibility I unwittingly damaged in my son. I want that to be the lens through which he views life.

1 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, Blogger Julie said...

Once again, another great post on a topic that's not easy to talk about (or blog about!). Whenever I read your posts on this subject, I naturally find myself thinking about the miraculous healing God did in my own body, even though I was once one of those people who said, "Yes God heals, but..."

After more than 17 years of praying for healing, being anointed with oil at the altar, and having others pray for me without apparent "success," I guess such a statement is almost inevitable. The thing is, God in His grace never allowed me to completely give up hope. I continued requesting prayer during healing services, even though I was fully resigned to never being healed. Somehow, it just seemed like the right thing to do.

Although I believe that there were godly principles I learned from the Word that enabled me to pray more effectively for my healing, I realize that it's not a formula. My husband has been using the same principles when he prays for his healing from thyroid disease, and he still awaits the day when he will be free of this affliction. Even though we both feel frustrated at times, I will keep on telling him, "It could happen!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home