Healing School

We live on a battlefield and we need healing. It may come like a flash of lightning, or like a little green shoot poking up through the soil. Healing school is a place for imperfect people to plant seeds, to receive change. Jesus Christ is the Healer and invites you to His classroom. I am a student of His. If you are thirsty too, come and drink.

Monday, July 10, 2006

Stories of Healing

In thinking through what direction to explore next in this blog, I returned to Pastor Bill Meyer’s comment on my very first posting:

The one great thing that can be accomplished and one answer to the question "why" is that stories of what God is doing in our lives in the area of healing can increase faith in us. I work as a hospice chaplain so I am around pain, suffering, death and sorrow. However, I never stop believing that God can and will heal, even in the midst of all the evidence to the contrary. – Pastor Bill Meyer

This says a lot about Pastor Bill, and I greatly appreciate chaplains like him who work in the difficult places – hospice, prison (like Pastor Denny), rehab (like Gregg Swegger) – places most of us would feel very uncomfortable, but where the love of Jesus is so desperately needed.

Stories of what God is doing in our lives in the area of healing. . . .

You know, before I gave birth to my two children, I had a lot of fear about childbirth – stark terror, really - simply because I had heard so many terrible stories about the pain and suffering and horrible things that can happen. It did nothing to edify me or increase my confidence that I could go through the experience.

Thankfully, before I got pregnant, I received a little book called Supernatural Childbirth. (It’s the one labeled “Childbirth” in my sidebar list.) In this book, I learned that some women have experienced wonderful childbirths characterized by peace and joy, as opposed to cursing their husbands and scraping wallpaper off with their fingernails. Suddenly I had hope, a vision of a possible reality, different than the one terror painted in the corners of my mind. Meditating on the principles – and stories of other women – in this book was the single biggest factor in making both my children’s entries into the light sweeter than I could possibly have imagined.

In the same way, if you or someone you love has been beaten up by sickness, discouraged and having no hope, may I suggest that you take time to read stories of others who have experienced God’s healing power?

If God did it for this one, and that one, and him, and her, and her and him and them and those other people over there too . . . Is it just remotely possible he may want to do the same for you?

Here are four books which include stories of healing – I’m sure many more good ones are out there as well.

Christ the Healer by F. F. Bosworth, an Alliance minister who held healing evangelism meetings across North America in the early 1900s. This book used to be required reading for Alliance ordination. Most of it is teaching, but the final chapter gives testimonies, including names and street addresses of those healed. One detail of interest to me is that without the same medical care we have today, cancers grew visibly on people, sometimes black, ugly lumps. When healing came, people could easily see the results.

Healing Voices Christian Publications, Inc. 2000, and subtitled: “A Narrative of the Acts of God in the Christian and Missionary Alliance.” Healing Voices may be unique among healing testimony books because it includes stories of those who did not receive healing, and how they made peace with that outcome. Reflecting a wide span of history and beliefs on healing, you are certain to find that some of the stories in this book will feel comfortable and congruent with your own beliefs, while others may challenge you.

Real People. Real Needs. Real Victories Kenneth Copeland Publications. (If that name makes you queasy, please consider this: You may know that Copeland considers Kenneth E. Hagin Sr. to be one of his mentors. But did you know that Hagin’s teachings on healing were largely influenced by an Alliance minister named F. F. Bosworth? Hagin wore out several copies of Bosworth’s book and never left home without it. So when you think about it, we’re pretty much one big happy family. Well, “family” anyhow. The “happy” part is your choice.)

My favorite thing about this book is the process each person went through internally, battling fear, worry, anxiety, doubt, usually over a period of time. Besides physical healing, some stories are about marital or financial crises, finding freedom from depression, and other common problems. Often the stories include defeats suffered along the way – a mother who suffers miscarriage before receiving a healthy child, a businessman who fails before fulfilling his dream. These stories do not feature instant or easy results but emphasize taking daily time in the Word and pressing through the problems.

Finally and above all else, read the miracles of healing in the Bible. They too, were real people who received real answers to their heartaches. This can bring a lot of encouragement to your heart, and maybe even paint a picture in your mind of a possible reality, different than the one you face today.

And He healed them all.

5 Comments:

At 8:08 PM, Blogger D.R. Miller said...

Beth, because of your Blog and our discussion within it I download and printed A.B. Simpson's work on the "Gospel of Healing" last night. I have read the introduction and have not found anything disagreeable and I didn't plan to coming from Simpson, what surprised me was how similar it is to some of our modern teaching on the subject.

I think I mentioned Ken Hagin's books in one of your other blog posts and my big problem with his stuff as with many others is the idea of creating a formula to be followed. In other words if God did it this way for me then follow these steps and the same will happen for you. I think you and I would both agree that God doesn't work in formula's. His ways are a mystery to us as natural men and women but he is gracious to reveal his truth to those who diligently seek him. This truth may come in the form of faith for healing or as in many other cases faith for enduring. In either case the recipient is blessed by a fuller understanding of their God and his love. provision and grace.

I hope to learn more in my studies on both healing and deliverance and come to a fuller knowledge of the Gospel of the Kingdom.

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger Beth said...

Thanks for that note, Pastor Denny. Glad you've checked out Simpson's works on healing.

It's been a long time since I've read Hagin's books, so can't speak directly to specifics.

But when we say (and yes I agree) God doesn't work in a formulaic manner in the sense of rigidly doing the same thing over and over, I think we need to distinguish between that, and the fact that God does work in principles.

How would you define the difference?

In math and science we have formulas that predictably guarantee a given outcome. In that context, a formula is not a bad thing, it's simply a natural law of the universe that God put in place.

I believe God has set up spiritual laws as well. How about Rom 10:9,10. Would you say those instructions for salvation would predictably produce a guaranteed result every time? Is it a formula?

We wouldn't normally call it a formula because of the negative connotation, but would you say it's a spiritual law perhaps? That if someone believes in Jesus with their heart and confesses with their mouth, that they will get saved? Every time? Predictably?

And yet every salvation is as unique as a snowflake.

To me, it's all about relationship, and all about God's grace. Human beings make the biggest variable of all in any equation, yet God lovingly finds a million different ways to relate to us and reveal His heart to us.

I too want to come to a fuller knowledge of the Kingdom. Thank you for being part of His iron to sharpen me in that direction!

Hey, I've noticed you've posted some cool stuff on your blog as well!

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger D.R. Miller said...

Beth, I ordered the book at the top of your list yesterday from Overstock.com. Looking forward to learning what it has to teach me on this subject. From what little I have read so far in Simpson's book I am excited and cautious at the same time. A couple of years ago I lost 48 pounds and became a lifetime weight watcher. I had hoped to get off of my blood pressure medication but it ended up not being the weight that was causing it but what the doctor says is hereditary I have since added about 20 pounds but am still proactive about getting it back off. My exicitement is in applying the principles of healing faith to have victory over this but my caution is playing with my life by acting foolishly. Wisdom and faith, how do we balance the two?

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Beth said...

Pastor Denny, in my personal humble opinion, Stay on the blood pressure medication, read the book, and see how God leads you.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger D.R. Miller said...

Beth, that was my plan thanks for the advice. I don't think presumption gains us anything but trouble, on the other hand acting on the sure and true word of God brings blessing. I will definitely wait on him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home